Shoulder physiotherapy can relieve the symptoms of shoulder pain. Shoulder pain is one of the most common musculoskeletal conditions seen in primary care , after low back and neck pain. It affects one in three adults [2, 3], accounting 1 % of General Practice consultations in primary care . In working-age populations, the prevalence of shoulder pain associated with musculoskeletal disorders is even higher , and increases with age .
A shoulder disorder;
- usually results in pain
- commonly accompanied by restrictions in movement
Common musculoskeletal conditions include;
- frozen shoulder
- calcifying tendonitis
- gleno-humeral instability
- subacromial syndrome
- rotator cuff tear
- rotator cuff tendonitis
- biceps large portion tendonitis
A Physio Can Help
If pain persists for longer than a few days and or the following are present, a physio should be consulted;
- difficulty using the arm
- difficulty carrying objects
- constant pain not alleviated by rest
- bruising or swelling around the shoulder joint or arm
If you need specialist physio for shoulder pain, contact us online or call 02 8544 3231 now.
1. Urwin M, Symmons D, Allison T, Brammah T, Busby H, Roxby M, Simmons A, Williams G. Estimating the burden of musculoskeletal disorders in the community: the comparative prevalence of symptoms at different anatomical sites, and the relation to social deprivation. Ann Rheum Dis. 1998;57:649–55.
2. Chard MD, Hazleman R, Hazleman BL, King RH, Reiss BB. Shoulder disorders in the elderly: a community survey. Arthritis Rheum. 1991;34:766–9.
3. Van der Heijden GJ. Shoulder disorders: a state-of-the-art review. Baillieres Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 1999;13:287–309.
4. van der Windt D a, Koes BW, de Jong B a, Bouter LM. Shoulder disorders in general practice: incidence, patient characteristics, and management. Ann Rheum Dis. 1995;54:959–64.
5. Roquelaure Y, Ha C, Leclerc A, Touranchet A, Sauteron M, Melchior M, Imbernon E, Goldberg M. Epidemiologic surveillance of upper-extremity musculoskeletal disorders in the working population. Arthritis Care Res. 2006;55:765–78.
6. Linsell L, Dawson J, Zondervan K, Rose P, Randall T, Fitzpatrick R, Carr a. Prevalence and incidence of adults consulting for shoulder conditions in UK primary care; patterns of diagnosis and referral. Rheumatology. 2006;45:215–21.
Aaron is by far the best physiotherapist I have ever met. He has the most extensive knowledge of injuries and conditions and really talks things through with you.WhiteCoat Review
Aaron is highly professional and I was really impressed with his diagnosis and evaluation. I have great confidence in him being able to fix my issue.WhiteCoat Review